Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Monday, February 8, 2016

Flower Bricks


Have you ever seen one of these before? Do you know what it is used for?
 No, it's not a toothbrush holder.



It's a special kind of flower vase, 

called a flower brick.

There usually is a hole in the center for filling with water and several small holes for stems.

Flower bricks have been around for centuries and are made of ceramic, especially delftware.


Flower bricks come in all sizes. My smallest one is only about 2 inches long found last year at a French flea market. 
It looks charming filled with violas and alyssum blossoms.
I believe these were originally made for displaying tulips, but alas, tulips are hard to grow in Arizona.

Instead I've got an assortment of spring scabiosa, stock and lavender.

These charming little vases are kind of hard to find so if you see one, snatch it up!

I like to join these parties

5 comments :

  1. Karee, aren't they glorious! Please come and share at Five Star Frou-Frou at A Tray of Bliss. We love the unusual and beautiful. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the flower brick was initially made to show off tulips back in the 1600s when tulips were for royalty only. I like how you can see every flower so well in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great. I have never seen one before! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete