Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Tips for Decorating a New Home



What turns a house into a home? I have been through many a house that clearly was decorated completely from a chain furniture store and that is just what the house looked like – a showroom. In other words,  no personality, nothing to reflect the owner’s individuality and taste.
So how do you make a new house look unique? Especially a first time house or apartment? 
I was a young newlywed, all of 21 when my husband and I bought our first home. He was still finishing grad school and we planned on starting our family so needless to say money was tight. This was in the 1970’s way before “shabby chic” became a thing. But I had always loved antiques and aside from a new sofa,  I furnished my new home with antique and vintage treasures. 
Our first home!

Here are just a few tips on how to make your new (or old!) home reflect your style.

Personalize with:
mementos – collections from travels, family heirlooms or other favorite collectibles  like sports memorabilia or vintage quilts.


photo from Southern Accents
photo from http://alittlebitbiased.blogspot.com




art – art is a very personal choice and reflects ones personality. Do you prefer landscapes or still life done in oil, or black and white photographs or electronic picture frames? Watercolor impressions or vintage advertising posters? The choices are endless but should be something you care about. Don’t just stick something on the wall from a generic chain decor store. Shop at local galleries, art shows, flea markets, or arts and crafts fairs. You don’t have to spend a fortune to find something unique.

photo from art.com


photo from Country Living

family photos- Most newlyweds like to decorate their home with photographs. I recommend choosing one area to feature photos in like a staircase, occasional table, or bookcase. Try to frame them in matching or coordinating frames such as all black or all silver. Otherwise your photo collection looks very hodge podge.
My daughter put together this photo display in her family room.

photos from BHG


vintage furniture or accessories – instead of buying cookie cutter furnishings consider adding one or two antiques. They give a room a sense of history and depth. Plus, if you know how to hunt they can be a real bargain! I found this little side table for about $17 and painted it with chalk paint and added a French graphic.

photo from For Creative Juice

Furnishing a new home can seem a bit daunting but can also be such a fun journey! Take your time and surround your self with things you truly love.


7 comments :

  1. I very much prefer to see someone's home when it reflects their personality rather than some designer's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother knows that she can't match colors or mix styles to save her life. Her husband couldn't either. Knowing this, they chose a designer. They worked together, and their house turned out quite nicely. They bought some new furniture and incorporated some of my step-father's antiques and family heirlooms. Everything turned out well for them. The rooms had personality, so the designer did a great job.

    When one doesn't want to or is incapable of, they find someone who can and will. So, try not to knock it too much, because that is the smartest decision some people can make.

    I trust myself to decorate. My dining-room-turned-library is medium teal/dark aqua, my living room is pink, and the foyer and hallway to the bedrooms will be yellow. Trust me! It's working out for us, I think, although my wife is still not quite sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your tips and they are spot on. I am a retired interior decorator. My rule was always to reflect the client's personality and needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips!!! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first house was so charming! I would have loved living in it! All of your tips are spot-on:) Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!
    xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful, warm and inviting your house looks. The collectibles are so pretty each one. I specially love the candle holders all gathered on a tray, the quilts, etc.
    Thanks for sharing.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for using a photo of my home! Please add the link to my blog! Gracie Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete