Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Americana Dinner Party

Do you have a close group of friends? My husband and I have belonged to the same couples book club for over 15 years. We rotate choosing a book to review and hosting duties and then get together every other month.

It was our turn to host and we chose to review Garrison Keillor's book  "Lake Wobegon Days".  Keillor is retiring from his long running radio program Prairie Home Companion this summer so we thought we'd reminisce and share some of our favorite stories of his. And since it's Memorial Day weekend, I went with an Americana theme for the party. 

 I pulled out my trusty ironstone dinnerware and layered it with red or blue chargers on a burlap tablecloth.




 I've wanted to do a grilled cheese bar for awhile. It was so easy to do!
 I laid out assorted breads, 
sour dough, multi grain and marble rye

 four kinds of cheeses, 
cheddar, pepper jack, swiss and havarti

 and a variety of meats, veggies and condiments. Everyone had a great time creating their own perfect sandwich!
ham, turkey, bacon, tomato

dijon mustard, craisins, cilantro, basil, mushrooms, pickles

For the sides I served Mediterranean pasta salad, potato salad and fruit kabobs. (oops, forgot to take pictures of everything!)


 For drinks I bought an assortment of old fashioned sodas.



And to finish it off classic Tollhouse cookies and fresh strawberry pie.



 It was a fun evening with great friends, good food and a chance to remember how lucky we are to live in this free country! 
I like to join these parties


1 comment :