Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Super Silver Score!

Wow, what a great time I had at the thrift store today! I'm always on the lookout for vintage silverware and today I got lucky! I found several old sets of silverplate flatware. Silverplate used to be extremely common for every day household use. In fact, as I was growing up we used silverplate  every day and sterling utensils for Sundays. 


This was a popular design often referred to as fiddle shaped. It's hard to see in the photo, but these are engraved with the initials EL. I used to shy away from monogrammed pieces, but I have come to love the history associated with them. Ooh, I still need to polish these!

 I found a full service for 8 plus a few serving pieces of Gorham's Lady Caroline. I plan on using this set for my Christmas Idea House raffle table. You can check out last year's table setting HERE. The pattern has a lovely delicate neck and flares out at the base , a classic design.


This pattern is called Grosvenor by Community. A little silver polish worked wonders.

Here's a sneak peak of what I'm working on for the Christmas House fundraiser. Yes, I start EARLY working on this! I've got the plates and now the silver. I still need glassware, linens and a centerpiece. Plenty of time!
I recently painted this old utensil caddy. Perfect for my new treasures! By the way, I paid less than $35 for over 75 pieces of silver. Quite  a bargain!

5 comments :

  1. Oh, sweet! It's all beautiful! I believe Lady Caroline is my favorite!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Score! I'm always working seasons ahead, too. I guess it comes from being a decorator and doing Christmas show homes and owning stores. Love the caddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you went to the thrift store and found 75 pieces of silver. Next time you go I'm sure you'll find matching silver serving pieces, because that's just what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, you know that I love silver and you definitely found some fabulous treasures. What beauties and the price is unreal. I love the start of your tablescape, beautiful. I love your painted caddy also, so cute. Great post and super finds. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I look for interesting and pretty flatware when in thrifts but rarely find any. Love the fiddle back shape. Love your little painted box.

    ReplyDelete