Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Easy Apple Butter

We all know Fall is apple picking time. What could be better than a trip to the countryside and picking fresh, firm apples? When I was in Utah a couple of weeks ago my friend Kathy gave me a crate of apples from her brother's orchard. Aren't they beautiful? 


 There were too many to eat out of hand so that meant making applesauce and apple butter! Let me share with you my new favorite method for apple butter.  All you have to do is wash, quarter and core your apples. No need to peel! Fill your crock pot with apples, add a little sugar (I used 1/4 cup), about a cup of water, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of ground cloves and let it cook all night in your crock pot on low. You will awake to the  lovely smell of apples and spices! 

 When making applesauce I usually use a potato masher because I like the slightly chunky texture. If you use this method you have to peel the apples.

 Instead, just use an immersion blender right in the crock pot. It will puree all of those peels and give a nice smooth texture to your apple butter. I have seen many recipes that suggest using a food mill or sieve, but this method eliminates that step. So easy!

 You can keep your apple butter in the refrigerator and use within a week or so. I put mine through a water bath process for 20 minutes so I can have that sweet and spicy goodness to last me for several months!

One of my favorite Fall recipes is my 
Apple Butter Pound Cake. 
Check out the recipe HERE .  We had company this weekend and instead of using the traditional cream cheese frosting I served it with a butter sauce that will have you licking the plate. Seriously! 
Butter Sauce for Apple Cake
1/2 cup butter (the real stuff)
1/2 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
dash nutmeg
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on medium low heat until thickened (about 20 minutes). Serve warm over cake.

I'll be joining




4 comments :

  1. Mmmm, yum! Your apple butter looks delish and so does your cake! Thanks for your visit and enjoy your weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe. I need to try it! Especially the AB poundcake.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm! I'll be making that apple butter. And yes those apples do look delish *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete