Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Monday, October 22, 2012

Silver Baby Cups


The gift of a silver baby cup to a newborn is a lovely tradition dating back to Colonial times. There are several theories as to how this tradition got started including religious symbolism, health reasons or good wishes for future prosperity. 


 I was lucky enough to find this baby cup last week while out thrifting for less than $3. 

I was doubly thrilled when upon polishing an initial "C" was revealed. I love to find vintage items with my monogram!

I have a small collection of baby cups and toothpick holders. The cups are silverplate but the toothpick holders are all sterling silver. You can occasionally find these for very affordable prices, I never pay more than $15-20.

I keep my collection on a silver tray on my bathroom counter filled with toiletry items.So simple and so pretty!
 
My mother also has a very nice collection of baby cups that she displays on her kitchen window sill. they are filled with little silver baby spoons at the ready to use when grandchildren (or great-grandchildren!) stop in for a visit.






9 comments :

  1. I love seeing these wonderful silver pieces being used for a new purpose! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful silver baby cups. I always love silver and the monogram is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently was going through my silver to sort, polish, and store in bags. I came upon my own engraved baby cup and matching spoon (the same shape as the one in the pic above). I remember getting it out to use with my son when he was learning to drink from a cup. Silver conducts whatever is in it, so it is impractical to use. Juice or koolaid just made the cup too cold to hold, for example. I guess I will just have a keepsake for when he has children! Thanks for bringing back a precious memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful silver baby cups. I have a couple and they're so cute, with monograms and all, one is hubby's and the other a gift for my first daughter when she was born. I love the way you put them to use, just lovely. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your collection. These are so hard to find. You are using them so cleverly. Great tray. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karee, I love your area of AZ. We were in Chandler a few years ago and I really enjoyed the market areas and also antique shops. Love giving silver baby cups, too. Thanks for sharing your beautiful items. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection of small silver pieces - love the baby cups. I will now have to go and dig out mine to display.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet collection you have! I have my son's baby cup and I keep it in the china cabinet. Maybe I should look for a couple more and set up a little vignette with the spoons. Thanks for sharing and have a beautiful weekend. {Love your toile background!}

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your idea of using the baby cups for toiletry items. I think I'm going to go work on a tray for our bath. I have a few baby cups and my husband's shaving mug from his grandfather. ~ Sarah
    PS
    I so enjoy your blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete