Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Silver Trays

Last week I posted about tole trays, this week it's all about silver! I love the elegance a silver tray gives to a room or tablescape. Silver trays come in all sizes, shapes and patterns from wildly ornate to simple, clean and contemporary. And yes, I'm talking silver plate, not sterling which only royalty can afford! (The clerk at Goodwill this week tried to tell me the piece I was buying for $3 was pure silver. Well, I guess it could happen!)


Chances are you can find trays at any thrift or antique store but there are a few things you should consider before buying. I only buy trays that seem heavy and have a nice weight to them . Some are very flimsy, almost a "disposable" feel . Of course, if you are repurposing for a craft project, by all means go for the lighter stuff.


 In a thrift shop or flea market most silver pieces have a bit,( if not a lot!) of tarnish on them. A little elbow grease and good silver cream should take care of that. I like good old Wright's silver cream. I do NOT like Tarnex and other similar products that remove a layer of silver. Eventually you will have no silver left and the copper or nickel underneath will begin to show through.


 Isn't this French tray fabulous? It's a reproduction, but who cares?


 This large tray weighs a full 5 1/2 pounds!





 Examine a silver piece for pitting. You can usually feel that the surface isn't smooth. This cannot be polished out as it means a bit of the silver has worn or chipped away.


 You can't see them, but this ornate tray has 4 feet underneath. I have a silver tea service that I usually set here, but right now I have an assortment of crystal pieces on display.



 This tray rests under a silver toned lamp.


When a tray has a "wall" around it , it's called a gallery. Of course, this was to keep the butler or maid from tipping the tea onto the floor! 

Don't shy away from silver pieces. Yes, they need an occasional  polish but they're worth it!

23 comments :

  1. You have a wonderful assortment of silver trays! I especially like the ones with ornate details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a collection. Adore silver trays and actually I have one that you have just reminded me about sitting atop a cupboard somewhere!! Holy moly I need to find it quick and the polish!

    Veronica

    Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

    ReplyDelete
  3. You find some wonderful things! I am a new follower from thrifty & fabulous link party and I'm thrilled I found you. Thanks for the tips on cleaning silver. I got some trays last week I need to tackle! You can stop by www.thebonnieburrow.com if you want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karee I love all of your pretty silver trays! I think silver like crystals are the jewelry of a room *winks* I really love that gallery tray, and I didn't know that's what they were called so thanks for the lesson! Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore all of your beautiful silver! I collect silver too and just love it. Who care if it needs to be polished occassionally (Wright's only).

    Thanks for linking your wonderful post to Potpourri Friday! I appreciate you participation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the silver, I just picked up a great silver platter, on the back it was to Mabel for 25 years of bowling!!! Nice post, Laura Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love silver trays--would love sterling ones... :) I agree; silver just doesn't require that much work, and besides, it's immediate gratification when you do polish it! Thanks for an interesting and fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how completely gorgeous!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wrote a post about a silver tray I purchased for $1.00. I hope you will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful post. I adore silver trays and have a wonderful collection. Love all your great ideas.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this problem where I can't pass a piece of silver up in a thrift store. I have to save it. Love all your trays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your trays- they are all beautiful! I love to collect vintage silver too!Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great collection! Love the info, too. I usually just let mine tarnish - I like the look. But who knows, it could change!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not super collection but it is superb cute ordering and collection also. I adore silver trays and have a wonderful collection. I have 't enough words to say about it.
    waterhog doormats

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all your gorgeous silver trays. I have a little collection that I like to use throughout the house. Next I would love to find one like your filigree one to hold my condiments in the kitchen.
    You have really scored!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great purchasing tips and I am in LOVE with those silver trays! Thanx for coming over to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so happy that someone else loves silver trays as much as I do. They are beautiful. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my favorite things ever...silver trays. I don't think a girl can ever have too many silver trays. :)
    Yours are so beautiful and thanks for the polishing tips. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful trays ! Thanks for sharing,JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Elegant assortment of silver trays! My MoMa always made us polish the silver on Saturdays...chore day...using Wright's silver polish! I, too, to this day continue to use that reliable product. I have found if I use the silver more frequently and use a warm soap and water wash, polishing is kept to a minimum! Thank you for sharing your exquisite collection with us!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a silver tray girl too, actually anything silver. Your collection is great and I do love the french reproduction. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, your tray collection is stunning. Such pretty pieces. I have been fortunate to find several at GW and I totally love all of mine. Love the use of the crystal with yours, so pretty. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful collection and thank you for all the purchasing tips...I love silver too and don't even mind polishing it(-: Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete