Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Arabia of Finland

The weather here has turned milder and mornings are delightful. I've resumed my morning bike rides and headed out yesterday for a quick ride around a nearby neighborhood. Ooh, a garage sale on my route! I pulled over to see what treasures might be found. I spied it immediately-
 a table full of Arabia dishes!

Arabia of Finland (pronounced a-RAH-bi-a)  is a pottery manufacturer that started in 1873 as a sister company to Rorstrand of Sweden. They are known for their excellent quality and clean, bright Scandinavian designs. 


I registered for the Anemone pattern when I got married in 1977. I was fortunate to receive 8 dinner plates, 8 salad plates, a few soup/cereal bowls and a couple of serving pieces. It was designed by Ulla Procops and gets it's name from the beautiful blue anemone flower.


The hand painted pieces are all signed on the bottom.


The pattern has been discontinued and was a bit pricey even when I got married ( the dinner plates cost $10 each  in 1977). So to find a table full, set my heart aflutter!

 There was a sugar bowl and creamer,

coffee pot and pitcher, 

8 large mugs, 8 small cups and saucers, a serving bowl and 8 bread and butter plates,

 plus a charming teapot with a removable infuser.  

There were 31 pieces in all. How much did the seller want for the set?  $75. What ?! Now, many of you wouldn't think of paying that much for dishes at a garage sale, but I snapped them up!  


When I got home (of course I had to return with my car!) I pulled out the rest of my dishes and put together a simple, classic tablescape  using a blue ticking runner and some Pimpernel place mats. 



So, did I get a bargain? I looked up Arabia Anemone on Replacements Ltd. to find out. Replacements Ltd. offers a great service and are perfect for finding random extra pieces of china, but they are a bit pricey. If I purchased my garage sale finds from them I would have to pay $2,445.00!  Even on Ebay or Etsy it would cost over $1,000.00 for all of these pieces.

So that was my bargain of the week! What did you find?

8 comments :

  1. How exciting! They are gorgeous and I can see why you love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, you must have been so excited you could scream...I think it is so cool finding the treasure you have been looking for when your not even looking...I love those beautiful dishes and think you must have found the find of the year....thanks for showing them and in a tablescape as well, wow, so cool...Come over to see my goulie gouls dinner party, I would love to know what you tink of it...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I am doing the happy dance for you!!! What an incredible find!!! I always loved those dishes and have a couple small decorative pieces too. The table is beautiful with the dishes and Dedhamware place mats............love the ticking stripe too!!! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arabia by default is a grrrreat find!!! These are so prized here that to get a 31 pc set for $75 is amazing. The china is gorgeous and you can identify Arabia from a distance. I picked up two serving platters of Arabia in turquoise/baby blue just last week for around $1 and found that the best part of my finds so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your question, yes, I made the pillow.........can't remember what site I got the art from, however, will find it if you are interested. I put the fabric in my copier and printed the art right on it, then constructed the pillow. You can't see it, but I also did hand embroidery on the figs and leaves to give them some depth. Thanks you for asking.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fortunate find! Just the kind of thing that makes for an avid yard sale shopper! What a lovely set of dishes. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some pieces of this set that was given to me in my wedding .
    If you are interested in baying them for a very reasonable price please e-mail me at mbcrml@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you......It's such a beautiful pattern! I also have 8 5-pc place setting for sale. All in perfect condition. Accessory pieces available include coffee pot, 2 Beer mugs, 6 soup bowls, 1 large and 1 small serving bowls. Beautiful set - but moving so must sell. Photos available & Posted today on Craiglsist, Mineola, NY.

    ReplyDelete