Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Waterford Biscuit Barrel

I found this Waterford biscuit barrel a couple of years ago at a thrift store. A "biscuit barrel" is the English name for a cookie jar. It was very dirty and full of small soaps, but I knew what it was immediately. I think I paid $3 and when I got it home and cleaned it up it was clearly marked "Waterford" on the bottom.


Alas, it had no lid. I tried to find a replacement online but the replacements I found cost $75! For just the lid!

So I've been on the hunt since then and look what I found yesterday, another jar with a lid.  Would it fit? I decided it was worth the $2.50 gamble.


Ta da! A perfect fit! Yes, I know the Waterford lid is cut crystal, but this is a pretty good substitute. 

These jars became very popular when President Reagan used to keep them on his desk full of jelly beans.

I love how it sparkles!


These typically retail for about $135.00 so I think I got a steal for $5.50!

I like to party with

14 comments :

  1. OH....MY...GOODNESS...What a find! I've yet to find Waterford at a thrift store, but I certainly look (I did find a Lladro once, though, but I paid I think $35 for it, so your bargain beats mine by a lot!). I've wanted a Waterford biscuit jar forever. Now I'll want one even more--and at $3!! LOL Thanks for sharing! How fun! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Waterford biscuit barrel like this one that we keep filled with nuts most of the time. If I filled it with candy I would forever be dipping my hand in. '-) Great find! These are beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Waterford piece and the lid looks just perfect with it.
    It pays to look beyond the dirty and grungy to sometimes find a treasure.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love it when things come together nicely? Beautiful piece - love the sparkle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great find - perfect lid too :)
    Autumn hugs from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh boy what a find. I love crystal for just that, the sparkle. Cut glass can be nice too. You did a great job of finding the perfect replacement lid. I am already addicted to thrift shops and this just makes me want to go right now
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find! Amazing that you found a lid to fit. The sparkle is gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely! I didn't know about the biscuit barrels--- yay for finding a lid---it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this post almost made me ill! I own a Waterford biscuit barrel almost like yours and paid a great deal more. Your new name should be "Lucky" - totally jealous of that great find!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got a steal of a deal! I have one that I got on sale -- perhaps $50/$60 years and years ago and a few years ago at a flea market I found it's "sister" for $15 and though I had a steal of a deal -- YOU beat me that's for sure! (although mine DOES have the real lid) -- but it looks good and for $5.50, you can't beat that price! I have mine in a bookcase filled with out souvenir shells.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! You got lucky on that great find! Love it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're not joking,Waterford crystal costs a fortune. You got yourself a pretty good deal. It's so beautiful. Lucky find with the lid too.

    ReplyDelete