Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hungarian Goulash

My husband had the good fortune this past Summer to travel to Eastern Europe with the choir that he performs with. The Sonoran Desert Chorale performed in Hungary, Slovenia, and Austria. Last night we had a small dinner party for a few members of the gang to reminisce and share their "thousands" of photos with each other.


 This is the Parliament building in Budapest. But then, apparently every stately building that they couldn't remember was the Parliament building!

 What does one serve at a Hungarian party? Goulash of course! I used the classic recipe from Joy of Cooking. My only difference is that I like to add carrot chunks during the last hour of cooking. I understand that traditional goulash is more soup like, but I love this "stew" version. And Scott had brought home some authentic Hungarian paprika so I hope mine was passable!


 On the side we had buttered egg noodles sprinkled with poppy seeds.


One of my favorite salads is this fruity mix. 

Assorted cheeses, crackers and breads.


 It was Scott's birthday this week and his favorite is carrot cake, so I made Martha Stewart's carrot cupcakes from her new cupcake book.

 I also made a rustic apple tart with raspberries. I think I got a little carried away with the powdered sugar!


 I kept the same tablescape from my previous post "Playing with Pumpkins" with only a few minor changes.I sold my wood chargers so I swapped for some gold ones and I recently found a set of 8 wood napkin rings for only $1!


Even though I didn't get to go on this adventure, after seeing pictures all of the gorgeous vistas, luscious food, and of course good friends to share it with I can't wait for the next tour!
The recipes:


Beef Goulash


2 lbs bottom round cut into chunks (or other stew meat)
Brown  in oil or bacon fat until the meat is well browned.
 Add:
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
Continue to cook until vegetables are soft and onion is translucent.
Add:
1 cup beef stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 lb carrots


Turn the burner to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add more stock if necessary  to keep from scorching. During the last hour add carrots cut into large chunks if desired. Just before serving add 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water to thicken gravy slightly. Serve over rice, noodles, or spaeztles.



Spring Greens with Fruit


I take packaged Spring mix, add some finely chopped romaine and mix in mandarin oranges, Craisins, sugared almonds, red onion, and thinly sliced crisp apples.The dressing is 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 tablespoon Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix (the dry stuff that comes in a packet.) Shake well in a jar. Easy!




Rustic Apple and Raspberry Tart


1 Pillsbury pie crust 
6 Granny Smith apples (or your favorite baking apple)
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon cold butter


Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Place in a large bowl and toss with sugar and spices. Carefully fold in berries so as not to crush.


On a lightly floured surface roll pie dough into a 14" circle.
Gently place inside of an 8" pie pan. Pour apple filling into crust and dot with butter. Fold up edges of pie crust around the filling leaving the center open. 
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool then dust with powdered sugar.


This week I'll be joining
No Minimalist Here Open House Party
Blue Cricket Show and Tell
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
Tabletop Tuesday
So Very Creative
Freshman Friday Blog Party
Debbie's Newbie Party
On the Menu Monday at Stone Gable








7 comments :

  1. Sounds delish! I have never heard of sweet paprika, I will look for that. Thanks so much for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipes sound scrumptuous! goulash sounds so good right now! What do you know, I am in Tucson and love to go to Merchant Square! My post about the 252 yo-yo's is a pillow sham I bought there a few weeks ago! I will look specifically for your booth next time I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, it all looks and sounds soooooooooo good. Love that apple tart. Beautiful tablesetting. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole meal looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks fabulous. Makes me Hungary. he he. I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goulash is one of my all time favorites. We first ate it at a little cafe in Vienna and I was hooked. I make the same recipe minus the carrots. Yours looks delicious! I wanted to thank you for voting for me at Cheap Sallys. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks wonderful! That tart looks amazing! You can never have too much powdered sugar. ;-) The salad looks like a perfect light lunch. Sounds like it was a great time. I'm sure his choirmates appreciated the dinner. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party and would love it if you'd come and share something you made/did/bought sometime before blogging. Can't wait to see what you share at the party.

    ReplyDelete