Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Painted Table


When  Kathy invited me to a garage sale a couple of weeks ago I found a pair of these charming end tables. As you can see  the finish was in pretty bad shape but the tables were solid and sturdy, definitely worth saving. I have to admit, I'm not completely sold on the idea of the painted furniture craze that is going on. If a piece has a beautiful finish I'd leave it alone. I've stripped and refinished many a poorly painted piece of furniture over the years! However, if the furniture is in really bad shape or was inexpensive go ahead and have some fun. I only paid $17 for this. 

 My local Ace Hardware store was having it's annual free paint day. Did you know they do that? It's awesome! Print out a coupon and you get a free quart of interior paint in the color of your choice. I got up early on Saturday morning so I could be one of the first in line. I chose a soft turquoise called Coventry Gardens.
 One coat of paint and little distressing and it's already looking better.
 I also did a little antiquing with some Minwax stain and then added a French graphic from The Graphics Fairy. I never get tired of browsing her blog for ideas!
Lastly, I sealed it all with a clear matte spray  finish.

Very sweet, don't you think?
I'll be joining
Show and Tell Friday

1 comment :

  1. Your little table is so sweet. I agree with you, if a piece of furniture is historically significant or has a lovely natural finish, leave it alone. After all, it took nature a long time to give us that beautiful natural wood grain, and once the patina of age is covered with paint, it's gone for good. I do also love painted furniture, though, and yours is perfect with it's distressed edges and French graphic!

    ReplyDelete