Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Vacation home


After having lived away from most of our family for over 30 years my husband and I looked into buying a condo in Utah closer to family and old friends. We couldn't find anything that we loved, so decided to build a house instead! This is going to be a vacation house for us to use in the summer (away from the Arizona heat!) and to rent out in the winter.

We found a new development in the little town of Midway, Utah which is up in the mountains not too far from Park City. My grandparents used to have a vacation home nearby and I have fond memories of cousins gathering for Thanksgiving and summer picnics.  Midway is a charming community with a mix of farms, pastures, and both old and new residential. Plus there are some top rate resorts, restaurants, golf courses, boating, hiking or skiing all only minutes away. 
So here's a a photo log of our journey thus far.
 We chose a small lot last summer. It has a good bit of green space with a walking path in the back and  wonderful views from both the front and the back yard of the mountains.
 This gazebo is right across the street in our neighborhood park.

We chose a single story floor plan to keep things easy and I'm going with a fairly neutral color scheme. I've had such fun choosing cabinets, tile, carpet and granite.




All framed! 
Glad they got that done before too much snow came.

Shingles and clapboards are on. 

I chose mosaic tiles to surround the fireplace.

It's got an open kitchen and family room.Cabinetry is in, but counters haven't been added .


Master bedroom 

Hall bath 

Coincidentally, some of our very dearest friends have also just moved to Midway from Connecticut. And no, we did not plan this together, but we are thrilled! 
So Leslie walks down to my neighborhood and takes photos for me every now and then. 
It's been a challenge to build a house long distance! We've been told it should be all finished in just a few weeks. I'm anxious to add furnishings and accessories and turn the new house into a home!
I like to join

8 comments :

  1. Sounds like a fun project. I'd love a second home to escape the Texas heat. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it'll be a darling vacation home and you will be very happy there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I've always wanted to build a house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun that must be to pick out everything!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this, how wonderful to be able to build this as a second home. I'm pinning some of your material samples. Love the exterior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, how fabulous. I love your style and all the finishes you've picked out. So pretty. Beautiful home. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new home is going to be beautiful!!! We just built a new home, it was a year this past Oct. And yesterday, we FINALLY made settlement on the old house! It's been a long haul. I can't wait to see how you decorate the new place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful home. Looks like it turned out as a success.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete