Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Lovely Lavender


My lavender is bursting with blooms! Do you have lavender in your garden? I have found success growing it in the Northeast, Southwest and now the Rocky Mountains. Lavender is very easy to grow for a few reasons. It is a perennial meaning it will come back every year. It is drought tolerant and fairly low maintenance. It does well in herb gardens, formal beds as well as cottage gardens and rock walls. Lavender is also deer, insect and disease resistant, but is great for attracting bees and butterflies.
 If possible, plant lavender along a walkway or garden border where it will release it's fragrance as you brush by it.



 Lavender is also easy to harvest. Grab a handful of stems just as the buds are ready to bloom. Cut as long as possible and remove excess leaves or woody stems. Tie the bundles up with cotton string or rubber bands then hang it to dry in a cool dark location.
(Honestly, I have let it dry right in my kitchen with no problem.) Because I live in a dry climate it only takes 4 or 5 days to dry out. Each bush will yield 4 or 5 big bundles.








 Lavender is wonderful used fresh or dried in floral arrangements, wreaths, potpourri, sachets, soaps and even cooking!


Hanky Sachet Tutorial



There are dozens of different lavender varieties so check with your local nursery to see which do best in your area. I personally love the English variety Hidcote for it's fragrance and long lasting color.


I like to join

4 comments :

  1. I have tried growing potted lavender about three times now and it dies pretty quickly each time! :( Perhaps I should try growing it in beds? Yours is amazing I'm jealous! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen (Pinned!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I've grown it in pots many times. Even though it's drought tolerant I find I need to water it daily when in a pot.Don't give up!
      Karee

      Delete