Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Charmed


Do you have a charm bracelet? Or perhaps your mother or grandmother had one? I was given a charm bracelet when I was about 8 years old and have collected many charms over the years. 

This month my book club read  The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper. It is a delightful story of a widower who discovers a charm bracelet that his wife has never worn and sets about to learn the story behind each charm.
That is the fun of a charm bracelet, it is like wearing a scrapbook! Each charm evokes a memory of a place or special event. The hostess asked us to wear a charm bracelet (if we had one). 

I  don't have just a charm bracelet, I have a charm necklace! I decided years ago I had so many charms that I'd put them on a long chain. 

My charms help me remember trips to the coast of Maine, seeing the Eiffel Tower lit up at night and skating lessons as a young girl among other things.



  


Charm bracelets can be theme oriented like this one of flowers and leaves,  

or these two with only heart charms.



This gold charm bracelet oozes elegance. 

Many ladies collect charms from their travels. 

My grandmother gave me this bracelet after she returned from a trip to Mexico.  

I believe my favorite charm is of the historic Tabernacle in Salt Lake City. It pops open to reveal the famous pipe organ inside. I sang there with my high school choir 
 on several occasions.
My only grand daughter turns eight in just a couple of weeks. I've decided to give her a bracelet and a single charm to get her started on her "jewelry scrapbook".

Do you have charms that bring back special memories?

I like to join these parties





5 comments :

  1. I'll have to get this book. It sounds like an interesting topic.
    I was a child of the 50s, so yes, I had a charm bracelet. It is full of charms that friends gave me through the years as well as ones I added for special things. I have another charm bracelet that I started with a friend. She lives in RI and I'm in Texas, but for years we would take a trip together so we could get in a visit. We started documenting our trips with a charm each year. Life has prevented trips in recent years, so I think our bracelets are complete. It was a fun way to pick up a souvenir.
    As for themed bracelets, I started one of my nieces a bracelet when she was a little girl. Her birthday is April 4, so I would give her a rabbit charm each year. I need to see if she ever wears it now that she is an adult. She just turned 31. Always thought is would be fun for her later in life to add beads or something and make a necklace. I have a necklace of charms that a Santa Fe artist made, and which my husband gave me for Christmas one year. It's fun to look at the different vintage charms and think about who might have owned them originally.
    Fun topic!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These charm bracelets are wonderful. Did you enjoy reading the book? I'll have to check into that. It sounds like it might be a fun/sad/good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently herd about this book and really want to read it! Not sure if you know but I'm a huge fan of charm bracelets and that's actually how I got started with my etsy shop ~ making vintage charm bracelets! The more charms the better! My husband started a gold charm bracelet for me when our first child was born. She's 17 now and I've added on to the bracelet over the years. It's so fun to look back on all of them and remember happy times past. Now I collect vintage charm bracelets! I think starting one for your granddaughter is a fantastic idea, I know she will cherish it. Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen | Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have my childhood charm bracelet. I always love the charms that were mechanical but the most special charm is of Ringo Starr. While not my favorite because we all loved Paul McCartney it is still very special. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your analogy about a jewelry scrapbook and I agree. My daughters both performed in numerous productions in our local community theater each year. We live near the original James Avery showroom and on the closing night of every show, I presented them with charms for their bracelets to commemorate the show. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete