Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Silver at your Service


I love collecting vintage silver serving pieces. I found all of these lovely old pieces within the last couple of months at various thrift stores. They are great to use on a daily basis or when you want to add a special flair to your tabletop.


 Serving spoons come in such a wide variety of shapes. These spoons are all generously sized for dishing out steaming mashed potatoes, stuffing or casseroles. 

I love the scalloped shaped bowl of this spoon. The pattern is Wakefield by International.

This is an English berry spoon. It's a bit large for jam but would be perfect for serving fruit compote or trifle.

This size is generally  referred to as a tablespoon.  It's larger than a soup spoon and a good all purpose server.

There are thousands of silver plate patterns ranging from exquisitely ornate to clean and contemporary. I'm not fussy, I mix and match them for an eclectic look.
I haven't figured out these  two patterns yet but love the  attention to detail.

Pie and pastry severs are always nice to have on hand for a dessert buffet.





 Just to be clear, these pieces are NOT sterling silver, but silver plate. That is, they are not solid silver but have a thin coat of silver that has been electroplated onto nickel or copper. Used serving pieces like these can be found usually for just a few dollars each.

I keep my silver handy in a couple of vintage spooners, ready to be called into service! 

9 comments :

  1. Great minds think alike! I just gathered some of my Mil's silverware and placed them on a teapot and yours are gorgeous too! I'm gonna go look for the service pieces as well. Love it! Have a sweet week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I like to gather up bits and pieces of serving sets too. Personally I like the random look of various shapes and designs. I appreciate silver plate just as I appreciate sterling. It's all beautiful in my eyes. Thanks for sharing your terrific finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post about a beautiful product. So sad that we don't all have pieces like this anymore like our grandmothers did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the beautiful silver pieces, they are just so charming and I love that they are all so different and so sweet, thanks for sharing these great finds...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart always beats a little faster, when I see any silver pieces. Silver is one of my main obsessions! Love your sweet pieces - I so appreciate the attention to detail in the older patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the patina of old silver and such pretty patterns too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Karee! I really like the berry spoon, never saw one before! I also love the attention to detail on the handles of the other ones. I am a new follower. Please stop by and visit if you have a moment!
    -Khammany

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful collection you have! I've just started my silver collection of cups and trays from flea markets and thrift stores, now I'm going to look for serving pieces too :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete