Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Quilt Guild Name Tags


Shortly after moving to Utah last year, I joined a quilt guild that a few of my long time friends belonged to. I've quilted for many years but my skills don't begin to compare with some of the ladies in this group. I've had great time learning new tips and making new friends. A few other ladies are also new to the group and we realized it's hard to remember everyone's name so I have made some fun name tags for this upcoming year. 


Here is how I did it with a little inspiration from Pinterest-


First I cut a rectangle of felt with pinking shears about 4.5 x 2.5 inches. Then I layered on a piece of scrapbook paper slightly smaller and topstitched around the edge. Did you know you can sew on paper? Use a large stitch length otherwise the paper may tear.


I made several fabric yo yo's to embellish my tags. Do you know how to make these? There are lots of tutorials out there but I found this one by Positively Splendid to be excellent. Aren't they adorable?


 I added some felt leaves to make my yo yo's look like flowers and hot glued them to the tag.




 Now for the name part. I printed a sheet with all of our guild members names on Avery transfer paper. You must do this in reverse so that when you iron it on, the names will read properly. I cut the names out and ironed them onto twill tape. It was easiest to do this in one long strip and then cut them apart.




To add the name to the tag I simply used double sided tape. So cute!
 I have one last step that I can't decide on. Should I attach more twill tape so it goes around the neck or sew a pin on the back?

I've got 12 done, 15 more to go!

By the way, here is a snap of one of the quilts we will be donating to this year's Festival of Trees to benefit the Primary Children's Hospital. It's been quite a project!


I like to join



2 comments :

  1. These are fabulous! I've always loved those cute "buttons" and they really do look like flowers. The other women are certainly lucky to have you in their group. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it possible to get the pattern for "My Kind of town" by Pam Bono?

    ReplyDelete