Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Monday, October 24, 2016

Danish Sterling Tray

Five years ago I posted about my love of silver trays which you can read about HERE.  I use them for home decor on my walls, in tabletop vignettes or holding toiletries in the bathroom as well as serving elegant desserts.

I've been an antiques dealer for about 15 years and vintage silver trays are always a popular item in my shop. But as I mentioned in my old post these are silver plate trays, not sterling, which is very pricey! (And hard to come by).




As a dealer, I frequently get asked what my best "find" has been. Well, here it is - a sterling silver tray from Denmark that I found at an estate sale! A friend invited me to the sale knowing there would be some silver items that I might be interested in. I bought several silver trays, bowls and other serving pieces that were all quite tarnished and in need of a good cleaning. I was charged $1 a piece.


  I was drawn to this tray in particular as it has the stylings of a Georg Jensen piece. Georg Jensen was a very well known Danish silversmith and jewelry maker.

Here's the tray I found, and 
here is the Georg Jensen. Very similar!

  It wasn't until I got home and cleaned this piece up that I saw the marking on the bottom, "sterling". Wow, what a find! And I only paid $1.00!

I think this is one reason why so many of us love collecting - it's the thrill of the hunt and never knowing what treasure might be found today! 
Happy hunting!
I like to join

1 comment :

  1. Karee, do you price your sterling by the silver weight or for its usefulness or both? I am a new antique booth owner and I'm curious...

    ReplyDelete