Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Fabulous French Food


The French are known for their exquisite cooking and beautiful food presentation.  On our recent trip, we were not disappointed! 

 We awoke every morning to fresh crusty baguettes baked by the Sisters of La Joie Saint Benoît at the convent where we stayed.

The French LOVE their bread! And why not? Crusty on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. In the movies you always see French people with a baguette sticking out of the top of a grocery bag. This is so true! It helps that there is a boulangerie on every corner.

One afternoon in Rouen I felt that I need something light for lunch and ordered a salad. It came loaded with thick slices of bacon and cubes of foie gras. A bit heartier than I had planned, but delicious!

While I ate my "healthy" salad, Scott indulged in veal chops in a mushroom sauce and 3 cheese baked pasta.

In Paris we had to have  bowls of steaming onion soup with freshly grated cheese.

In Strasbourg we were served this crispy flatbread with cheese, carmelized onions and smoked sausage as an appetizer.Each was plated up on an individual breadboard. 

 We were told a specialty in Alsace is a dish called baekoffen. While my photo may not make it look  very special, trust me, it is! This casserole is made of lamb, pork and sausage plus potatoes,onions, carrots and herbs slow cooked in a clay terrine. It was melt in your mouth tender and loaded with earthy flavors.

Of course, we didn't skimp on desserts.
 Our favorite waitress was Valentine. Here she is serving up some raspberries flambé over vanilla ice cream.

Just look at the colors in this strawberry torte with berry sorbet.

My favorite was the profiteroles with ice cream and chocolate sauce.

Confectionaire shops are almost as plentiful as boulangeries. This is a giant meringue  I happily munched on one afternoon.

Oooh, which would you choose?
Strasbourg was such a delightful mix of French and German!




Such a clever display of  cupcakes hanging in jars. 
  
Can you see the adorable poodle meringues?

And then there is the chocolate... 



 and cookies,
and jams  and preserves. 

A tower of macarons! 


At one market as we wandered the stalls we came upon this one that looked like cheese -

but it was different flavors of nougat! Fluffy and rich it melts in your mouth.


Now here's the cheese!


Eating well is one of the great pleasures while in France!
I like to join 


                        Seasonal Sundays @ The Tablescaper

11 comments :

  1. OMG - I would weigh 400 lbs by the time I left France. The food looks divine and I cold really eat some of that wonderful food right now. Even bread, wine and cheese would be just fine. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful photo's of your trip.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought, ooh France! but then I was like, wait German? because of the Florentiner and Orangenscheiben. But then I slowly read through this entry once more. :)
    I love the genuine & of course yummy nature of this post.

    P.S.: I love the Chocolate in the wooden box with its own Hammer... how cute is that!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love pictures of food.. And it all looks amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even conceive of such wonderful travels -- how exciting and fun it must have been! And the food -- oh my! I'm a bread-aholic so I guess if I ever DO venture outside of the U.S. I better stay away from France LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, glorious French food! Such a mouth watering post! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world! Feel free to share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday party which is live. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-106.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is impossible to look at your photos and not drool. The French do have a knack for creating and presenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness, such yummy food! Right now it's almost 7:30 and I didn't have dinner yet...you made me so hungry, lol! Thank you for your sweet visit.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, look at all that French food, I'm so hungry, I haven't had dinner yet! Thanks for your sweet visit!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! It has been too long since I visited Paris...too long. Now, after seeing your photos and reading about it...I'm starving! Where's my yogurt...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my, my, my! Dessert Heaven! I'd weigh a ton by the time I returned, LOL!
    I live through you.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um where in France is this, the food is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete