Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Strawberry Orange Jam

May is jam making time for me. The strawberries are plentiful and inexpensive in the markets and the last of my oranges are on the tree and super sweet. I usually make a batch of Orange Marmalade and another of Strawberry Rhubarb or perhaps Triple Berry. This year I've tried a new recipe -Strawberry Orange Jam.



Wash, hull and slice 5 cups of fresh strawberries.

Thinly slice and seed 4 oranges and 2 lemons. (My lemons are huge so I only used one!) Then coarsely chop citrus in a food processor. 

Put all of the fruit plus 1 cup water in a large pot. 

 Bring to a full boil. While the fruit was cooking I inserted my immersion blender to more finely dice the berries. Boil for 5 minutes.

Then add 1 pouch of powdered pectin that has been stirred into 6 cups of sugar. Bring back to a full boil and boil for 1 minute. Ladle into hot sterilized jars and invert for 5 minutes. Turn jars right right side up and listen for them to POP to make sure they have sealed. Alternately you can seal in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. This made 9, 8 oz. jars.

I always feel a sense of accomplishment after a jam making session, and it's so nice to pull a jam jar out of the pantry in the Winter and enjoy the flavor of Spring!


I'll be joining
Show and Tell Friday
Inspiration Friday
A Very Merry Vintage Style
Wow Us Wednesday 
On the Menu Monday

2 comments :

  1. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was out of town .I get 8 to 10 8oz. jars from my jam recipe. Enjoy Canarella

    ReplyDelete