Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Thursday, May 12, 2016

5 Reasons to Shop at Thrift Stores



I love thrift stores. I've been shopping at them for over 40 years! Why? 
I've narrowed it down to my top 5 reasons.


1. You can get brand new items (often still with tags) at a fraction of the cost. Yesterday I bought these cute capri pants at one of my local thrift stores. The tags are still on. I was not familiar with the brand Weatherproof, so I looked them up. They make quality outdoor wear for men and women. These would retail at about $35 and I paid $5.  Other brand new items I have found while thrifting are Cole Haan shoes, Portmeirion fine china, cashmere sweaters, and leather handbags.


8 Portmeirion porcelain dinner plates

2.You can get gently used designer and other high quality merchandise for next to nothing. When I shop for clothing at a thrift store I only look for designer or top name brands. I figure why buy a shirt from Target at the thrift store, when I can get them new for only $5 on sale at Target? So I typically look for and find items from Ralph Lauren, Talbots, Waterford, Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn.

Waterford Crystal Biscuit Barrel

I also found this bar stool yesterday for $5. I have 2 more just like it that I bought last year at $50 a piece :( 
Pottery Barn bedding

3. Collectibles! Whatever your collecting passion may be, chances are you can find your treasure at a thrift store. I personally have a dish addiction and have found lovely old ironstone pieces, English transferware, and vintage Fiesta Ware. Plus there's the estate silver, tartan tins, jewelry, cut crystal, and old wood cutting boards. You might prefer vintage toys and games, old tools, books, vinyl records  - whatever is your thing you can bet someone else has donated it to a thrift store. Will you find what you are looking for every time? No. You have to make thrift shopping a habit to find the treasures. And that's what makes it fun, the thrill of the hunt!

vintage English ironstone
Blue Transferware
Estate silver servers

4. Thrift shopping is good for the environment. Wouldn't it be nice if we could stop throwing so much into our overflowing landfills? I feel like I'm doing my part in reducing, reusing and recycling by giving a second  life to someone else's cast offs.
source

5. It's good for your community. Most thrift shops are run by charities. The national chains like Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent De Paul and Deseret Industries are committed to help those in need by providing education, job opportunities, meals, shelter and clothing.  Many thrift shops are run by volunteers in your community who have a desire to help those in need and use the proceeds in a variety of ways such as providing school supplies and meals to under privileged children.

Assistance League volunteers
So basically, shopping at thrift stores is a win, win, win, win, win situation! 
What have you  found this week?

I like to party with

7 comments :

  1. You had me at ironstone and transferware! I love shopping at thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years I've found so many amazing bargains at thrift stores. But lately, sad to say, I've noticed the items in our thrift stores are mostly junk. And the prices have become more like retail than thrift. I do still find some great buys when we travel, but our area has defeated the purpose of "thrift".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thrift stores and find fabulous things there if I go regular. Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrift stores are my only go to place in the winter and I find a lot of great items there. In the Spring and Summer I try to go to flea markets, yard and garage sales. In my area the thrift stores are getting a little pricey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you said - especially collectibles! Its so boring to run out and buy a bunch of "something" instead of gathering over years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karee, I'm with you! I've been thrifting for over 20 years and I agree with all your points. I might also add, well, it's fun! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete