Neutral Header

Neutral Header

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Super Sideboards


One of the most versatile pieces of furniture you can invest in is a sideboard. Sideboards come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and finishes from contemporary to country to formal. They lend style and substance to a room. The original purpose was for use in the dining room for serving
 (think Downton Abby),
 but I find you can use them in several different ways. 
A sideboard is not to be confused with a hutch, which has a top piece usually for displaying dishes. 


 This piece is mahogany and leans toward  the Hepplewhite style. I keep it in my front entry where I store
 linens and candles and a few platters.

These two charming pieces are made of quarter sawn oak, are Tudor in style and are referred to as dessert servers.





The wood grain on this Queen Anne style sideboard is exquisite! It is made of burled walnut.

 I recently bought this Sheraton sideboard back from a client. They are moving and don't have room for it in their new house. 
It looks perfect in my living room (at least for now!).

This is a very old English server. I love the barley twist detailing on the sides. The keyhole is made of ivory.

My daughter and I found this handsome sideboard in a local consignment store. It has a granite top which makes it perfect for putting hot dishes or beverages on.

Here is another English piece with some 
Art Nouveau details.

I suppose my favorite sideboard is this lovely antique French piece with a  parquet top. I store my pewter serving pieces in here plus most of my cookbooks. 
It lives in my family room.
Sideboards are a great anchor to a room especially if there is no fireplace, and they do make wonderful storage units. It's even become popular to repurpose them into T.V. stands or bathroom vanities.

What is your favorite piece of furniture?

I like to join these parties



6 comments :

  1. Hi Karee! So nice that you came over for a visit to my place! You have some of my very favorite things in your header. And sideboards are one of my favorite furniture pieces too! Looks like you have quite a few. I agree that they are so versatile. And they can store a ton! Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karee! So nice that you came over for a visit to my place! You have some of my very favorite things in your header. And sideboards are one of my favorite furniture pieces too! Looks like you have quite a few. I agree that they are so versatile. And they can store a ton! Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Queen Anne sideboard is my favorite! I love the walnut! I would like to invite you to share your posts each week at my Making Broken Beautiful Party. it has already begun but there is still time to join in.. It goes every Thursday from 6:00pm (MST) till Saturday 6:00pm (MST). It is a furniture and home decor party. I hope you can join, you have great taste!

    Smiles!
    Terry
    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite pieces of furniture in my home! Thanks for sharing this at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful pieces and such gorgeous wood. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All so lovely! The best part is that you can store stuff away in them and get rid of clutter! (No one needs to know how many vases/serving dishes/gravy boats, etc. I have!) And they all serve up a buffet beautifully. My friends and I are hosting a new linky party called "Vintage Charm" starting this Thursday, October 15th. Do stop by and share some of your vintage charm with us! We're looking forward to seeing you there! xoKathleen (new follower!)

    ReplyDelete